Monday, December 11, 2006

Runcible Spoon


This evening I had a moment of curiosity come over me about something that I haven’t thought about in at least two decades—what is a runcible spoon? The infamous spoon is featured in what was my favorite book as a child, The Owl and the Pussycat (there are many versions, but the one you must borrow during your next Library visit is the version illustrated by Hilary Knight.) Originally a poem published in the 1800’s, the story is about an owl and a cat who fall in love and sail off to the land where the bong tree grows to wed. The best part of the story is when “they dine on mince and slices of quince” which they eat with a “runcible spoon.” Some quick internet research determined that such a spoon is nothing more than a “fictitious utensil that appears in the nonsense poetry of Edward Lear.” Unwilling to be left disappointed, I further searched to uncover that a runcible spoon is generally defined as a fork with three prongs (similar to a pickle fork), is curved like a spoon and also has a cutting edge. So my question is…has anyone seen such a thing? And if you’ve been so fortunate to have used one, I’ll exchange you a dramatic citation of said poem to hear your story!

7 Comments:

Blogger saltspoon said...

Thanks to someone who I think would prefer to remain anonymous, we have pictures of a runcible spoon, although I'm a little unconvinced--looks like a spork to me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SILVER-PLATED-RUNCIBLE-WILLIAM-HUTTON_W0QQitemZ300055692434QQihZ020QQcategoryZ105897QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SILVER-PLATED-RUNCIBLE-JOHN-BATT_W0QQitemZ300056039101QQihZ020QQcategoryZ105897QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

9:46 AM PST  
Blogger saltspoon said...

Someone found it! Check the "Signature Items" tab and it's towards the bottom at: www.runciblespoon.com

1:54 PM PST  
Blogger ADMIN said...

Where do you think my nickname "Ter-uncible" came from? Your Aamie has called me that all my life...your mama

8:47 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Courtney! Fun write up on the spoon!!! :) Love it! I love collecting silver spoons and such dainty delights!!! They are so pretty! Congrats on your good news, girlie!!

7:37 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey again, it's me.......I have to tell you I just ordered the book for our girls! Got a super deal on Amazon for only .32 cents! Can't wait to read it!!!!! I'll forever think of you when I see the book!! :))

2:11 PM PST  
Blogger Paula Jo said...

Congrats Courtney on the awesome news, we are happy for you. Fun blog you have, found it on Loren & Shanda's. I will have to look into that book for Alyssa she would like it. Oh, you might enjoy checking out http://tymeinthekitchen.blogspot.com. take care, hugs

2:51 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:23 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home